While Instagram used to display posts chronologically, they now share content based on the following rules:
- Your relationship with the follower - if they have interacted a lot with your past content, they will be more likely to see your future content.
- Interest from the follower - does the follower interact with similar posts and accounts?
- Timing of post - how long ago you posted vs the time the follower is scrolling through their feed.
Here's how to ensure your posts are seen on Instagram:
- Engage with your followers - to get your posts seen by more people by engaging with your followers. Ask them a question like ‘What do you think?’ and reply to their comments.
- Post consistently - this doesn’t mean you have to post every day, just make sure that it is consistent. So choose a time and day and aim to post your content around that time. Set a reminder on your phone to give you a nudge.
- Create purposeful content - be either beautiful, or useful (or both!). Try to ensure your posts add value to your followers' feeds; through tips, advice or problem-solving rather than trying to constantly sell or promote.
See how Papersmiths are engaging their followers below: